Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Jack of all trades, Master of none

  As I get older I have realized that I am a self diagnosed ADHD'r.  I blame this on my munkies.  All of it.  It is known that while pregnant you become forgetful and such.  My hypothesis is that my munkies are so super smart because they took the bunch of brain cells that controlled my ability to pay attention for long periods of time.  Hence the ADHD diagnosis.

Anyway...

I have always been the creative type.  By creative I mean that I am to cheap to buy something that I am pretty sure I can make. I am a bonafide DIY'er and was once hopelessly addicted to home decorating shows.  Don't be mistaken, I am in no way a recovered DIY'er.  Now I am addicted to blogs, YouTube, and Pinterest.  

So in real life I am a Program and Career Services Coordinator.  That's a fancy way of saying I get shit done.  It is my responsibility to help students at a Community College get internships and jobs.  I also request donations from businesses for our programs and facilitate industry relationships with the college.  I am part of a team of 5 and together we create and implement programs for our school.  To date my team has accumulated over $150,000 in material donations for our Corrosion Program.  Personally I think that's pretty awesome.  It's a fun job and I like going out and talking to people.  Plus I get to do cool stuff like travel (like a week in New Orleans), get insider tours of businesses, visit other schools, and be on the radio (which is AWESOME!)

In my first pretend life I am a baker.  I have a baking company, Funky Munky Goodies, and bake yummy things like gourmet cupcakes, cakes, and decorated sugar cookies.   My earliest memory of baking is sitting under the table in my Grangie's kitchen while she made chocolate pies.  I got to lick the pan which to my little 7 year old mind was the equivalent to Heaven!  I developed a seriously, delicious recipe for chocolate chip cookies in High School and baked them for my friends when requested but I will not divulge the reason for which they were being requested.  (It's a it's a top secret and if I tell you I will have to kill you and that's just messy kinda thing)  In my 20's I was lucky enough to live in the same town as Grangie and got to make Christmas candy with her for about 15 years. I miss doing that.  About 3 years ago I started tinkering around with decorating sugar cookies and started selling them to the public.  I was beginning to get pretty good and branched out into gourmet cupcakes, cakes, and some candies.  Recently I have begun to play around with breads but those are so dern temperamental!  You can say that for the last year I have been on hiatus due to the wind being knocked out of my sails but I am back and the breeze has begun to blow again!  I am currently in the process of researching the sustainability of an actual real life bakery.


In my second pretend life I am a photographer.  I am a little funky, as if this is news to you, and like to take pictures of odd things and of people doing odd, normal things.  I am not into the typical Sears-type pose.  
My house is full of pictures of my munkies or odd objects.  I also mess around with painting but am totally abstract.  I just paint what I am feeling and I am usually a total mess.  Often my ideas are laughed at but I trudge along.  Sometimes they totally suck but then there are times when they freaking ROCK!  
A lot of people are afraid to try something new or different.  Just recently I had a friend debate for what seemed like forever over the color of red she painted in her kitchen and living room.  Her color palette was wonderful and I was jealous that she had it going on in her house.  I didn't tell her that and if she is reading that now I am TOTALLY lying. (Shh, I really am jealous)

I have one thousand and one things I want to make or create and there never seems to be enough time in the day or money in my wallet to do it.  In order to make myself feel better about this and to keep me from having to take meds,  I believe that everyone feels this way.  If ever one day I get to create all that I have running around in my head I will have the most awesomest, funkilicious pad in the world!    

No comments:

Post a Comment