Tuesday, March 20, 2012

WTH?!? Isn't there a manual or something?

We all know that I have been divorced for a year.  If you didn't know, well now you do.  Being hurled into the dating scene with no prior knowledge of the "do's and don'ts" should be a form of punishment for law breakers.  Dating is a rough scene man. 

Today I am sitting here thinking back to this first year and want to share some of my experiences.

I went on a date with a guy who had just broken up with his girlfriend of 3 years. Just broken up as in 3 DAYS PRIOR TO OUR DATE!  When he dropped that bombshell I quietly set down my fork and said, "Well, it was nice meeting you.  Now please take me to my car."  On the way home he text-ed me and asked how I thought the date went.  I replied, "Maybe you should take some time to get over your breakup."  He said, "So you want to go out this weekend?  I want you to meet my kids."  Wow.   One thing that I realized is that there are a lot of dead beat moms out there.  Nearly every guy I dated had an ex who just left her kids and hauled ass.  

Then there was the guy who told me that I would be super hot if I dropped 20lbs.  I strongly suggested that he leave and never returned a phone call.  I told a friend this and she said, "Did you tell him that he would be super fine if he grew another 4 inches?!?"  

I can't forget about the guy who canceled 1 hour before the date because of his crazy ex wife.  We were supposed to go to a concert and I was stoked about it.  So when he called and said that my reply was, "Well can I come by and pick up the tickets?"  Yes, I really did that and I ended up having a great time with a coworker and her husband.  

  
It was amazing to me how many men had no idea what it was they really wanted.  They claimed to want someone they could grow old with but really wanted someone to take care of their kids and who cleaned up good.  

Now I know that for a while I really didn't know what I wanted but I tried not to pretend to want something that I really didn't.  The one that bruised my heart and made me stop dating all together was a really fun guy. He had the sexiest Cajun twang and claimed to want everything I did.  He ended it with "I am not ready for this", which is fine but it was so sudden I was left standing in the parking lot with a look of disbelief and shock. When we stopped seeing one another I decided to stop dating all together.  Sure I had a couple of guys that I texted but there was no more dating.  I took the stand that it was total bullshit and I did what I wanted when I wanted.  Along the way I learned a lot about myself and am still getting to know the girl I used to be.  I think with a little time I just may find that girl and bring some important knowledge to the table.  

Oh no this isn't all... it's that I can't tell you everything at once.  I have to keep you coming back for more.  
 

1 comment:

  1. OMG! It's like you are describing my life for the last 2 years!

    ReplyDelete